   RE: [xml-dev] Slightly off, but... was: XUL appears to be dead, is there

  • To: "Manos Batsis" <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>,"Trevor Croll" <trevorcroll@fastmail.fm>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Slightly off, but... was: XUL appears to be dead, is there some other standard that should be looked at
  • From: "Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer" <schnitz@mozquito.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:52:20 +0200
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

> If only XForms where supported... Still working on that XUL Schema.
> Cheers,
> Manos

Did someone say XForms? Seriously, I feel like saying something to this
entire list:

- I sort of show up every 6 months
- I typically say something about XForms, XHTML, Modularization
- I'm heavily biased
- I feel silly doing so

Just to let you know:

- I do read this mailing list
- I actually follow most of the discussions
- I think it is really good to have XML-DEV (no-one said this lately)
- I'll stick to my habit of posting something when I really feel I
have to say something.

:-)

Now back to the subject, I'm not sure whether the XML community
and the Macromedia Flash Community have ever really talked
to each other - or even aknowledged their respective existence.

Regardless, Flash MX claims to be all about XML. You'll get those
Flash developers looking at XML for this first time as of now.  This
is really interesting, seeing both groups discussing similar topics,
same technology (XML), but different (and eventually changing)
mindsets.

Talking about XForms, XUL and the like, we now have a new
member in that category, custom-built XML Viewers/Editors in Flash.

A bunch of people including myself have therefore embarked on a
mission to build an XHTML/CSS/XForms user agent in Flash.

It might work. We'll see. Performance will be the issue. Here's a
really early alpha:
http://webaccess.mozquito.com/_progress/dengprogress.html

- Sebastian