   RE: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

At 10:53 AM 7/6/2002 -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> >I don't find support for those datatypes compelling for XML.  I find them
> >to be a distraction from the text-based functionality that makes XML so
> >useful at best, a distressing calamity at worst.  I'm starting to argue
> >that compromise even with the primitive types is a dangerous mistake.
>
>So obviously using data typing in XML is outside your use cases so why are
>you still arguing the point? Why not simply agree to disagree.

It's not just outside out my use cases.  At this point I see it as outright
pollution, a dangerous mash that developers are mistaking for what XML
actually does.

>There are many decisions made about XML technologies that I don't agree
>with or think are questionable (half the stuff coming out of the W3C TAG
>for one) but I don't see the benefit arguing about keeping the purity of
>XML and trying the bend people to my world view when their  use cases are
>different from mine.

I've spent far too long being generous about the W3C and the W3C
membership's happy process of pouring more and more crap into what was once
a reasonably simple and comprehensible spec.  I think it's long past time
to speak plainly about the mess they're creating.

 From my perspective, your argument is much like saying "you don't live
near the factory that's pouring mercury into the ground and, so why
argue?  They have a different world view, a lot of power, and they're not
really hurting you directly."

>You don't care about data typing and XML while others do and those are who
>XQuery is targetted at. I recently asked whether any of the current users
>XPath have any interest in XPath 2.0 and from the silence it seems
>none  do which is echoed by the lack of participation on its comments
>list. So I take that to mean that most people are satisfied with the
>untyped querying facilities of XPath while XQuery et al will fix the lack
>of a standardized typed querying mechanism for those of us interested in
>such things.

I don't believe that XQuery has very much to do with XML at this
point.  It's time to stop letting the W3C slap the "XML" brand on whatever
spec their members feel like selling.  They don't appear to give a damn
about the side effects.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue