   RE: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:53:14 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]
Sent: Sat 7/6/2002 10:27 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

At 01:03 PM 7/6/2002 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I don't find support for those datatypes compelling for XML.  I find them
>to be a distraction from the text-based functionality that makes XML so
>useful at best, a distressing calamity at worst.  I'm starting to argue
>that compromise even with the primitive types is a dangerous mistake.

So obviously using data typing in XML is outside your use cases so why are you still arguing the point? Why not simply agree to disagree.

There are many decisions made about XML technologies that I don't agree with or think are questionable (half the stuff coming out of the W3C TAG for one) but I don't see the benefit arguing about keeping the purity of XML and trying the bend people to my world view when their  use cases are different from mine.

You don't care about data typing and XML while others do and those are who XQuery is targetted at. I recently asked whether any of the current users XPath have any interest in XPath 2.0 and from the silence it seems none  do which is echoed by the lack of participation on its comments list. So I take that to mean that most people are satisfied with the untyped querying facilities of XPath while XQuery et al will fix the lack of a standardized typed querying mechanism for those of us interested in such things.