   RE: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

At 10:53 AM 7/6/2002 -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> [...]

The formatting above is misleading - I did not write that, Simon did.
I've  been arguing in favor of data types.

>So obviously using data typing in XML is outside your use cases so why are
>you still arguing the point? Why not simply agree to disagree.

>You don't care about data typing and XML while others do and those are who
>XQuery is targetted at.

I agree with this.

>I recently asked whether any of the current users XPath have any interest
>in XPath 2.0 and from the silence it seems none  do which is echoed by the
>lack of participation on its comments list. So I take that to mean that
>most people are satisfied with the untyped querying facilities of XPath
>while XQuery et al will fix the lack of a standardized typed querying
>mechanism for those of us interested in such things.

I also agree that most XPath users don't need much of what is in XQuery. I
hope we can move significantly in the direction of simplifying XPath 2.0.

Jonathan