   Re: RE: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

>> But seriously, what I would suggest is that the Query WG accept the
>> reality that there is heterogeneity of XML schema languages (and
>> applications that use no schema language)
>
> DTDs, well-formed documents, and XML Schema are all expressly supported
> by XQuery.
>
> Other schema languages can be mapped into our data model, but that
> requires someone to do the work. For RELAX-NG, that probably would
> involve specifying how the type annotations are computed, and there are
> some features of RELAX-NG, such as co-occurrence constraints, that are
> not supported in our data model.

As far as I can see, to use XML Query with RELAX NG, I would effectively
have to translate RELAX NG into something semantically equivalent to W3C
XML Schema.  Nothing in RELAX NG that goes beyond W3C XML Schema would be
useable with XML Query, even though it would perfectly feasible to
accomodate some RELAX NG features in your type-system, for example,
allowing choices between attributes or choices between elements and
attributes just as you now support choices between elements.  If so, that's
not exactly what I would call accepting a heterogeneity of XML schema
languages.

I do understand why you are doing it

- you can't do static typing and be neutral about your type-system
- if you have to pick one, politics means you have no real choice

but let's be clear about it: XML Query is based squarely on W3C XML Schema.

James