   Re: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

[Dare Obasanjo]
 >So I take that to mean that most people
 >are satisfied with the untyped querying facilities of XPath while XQuery
et al will fix
 >the lack of a standardized typed querying mechanism for those of us
interested in such things.

Well, thats one way to look at it.

Another, and the one I subscribe too, is that data-people have yet to pluck
up enough
courage to stand up and say:

"Gee! Today's database tech - with all its highly
optimized, efficient search/retrieval and strong typing and stuff is just fine.

And you know what? All the new XML stuff has nothing much to add here. Sure
XML 1.0 is
a big step forward for *interchange* BUT I don't query or enforce typing in
my interchange
notation, I do that at the ends points - in *todays* established, trusted
database tech.
All things considered, XPath 1 and XML 1.0 and just fine thanks."

Sean