   RE: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

The choice of names is always a political choice.
One learns to campaign and swear to each room
just as one learns when Bach is appropriate and
when Lynard Skynard is essential.  Choose wisely.

The fork alluded to in the other thread is the
inevitable and totally predictable effect of
confusing systems development and marketing
with standardization.  The Web was fielded
stupidly.  We can't change that but we can
learn how to stop doing what hurts.

If a sufficiently large number of developers
need a strongly typed XML database, they will
develop one.  And they are.  So what?  As long
as they don't touch the core, or attempt to
sell what they have as core, then any loss of
freedom is an illusion.  If the data-centric
guys try to tell the authors they have to
rename all the topics in their documents, they
usually lose.  If the topics can be built as a
result of aggregating the data-centric names,
and the writers get to work only forty hours a
week while the machines do the weekends,
everyone goes home early.  That's a win.

If they don't: War.  Bugs Bunny knew these things.
Wyle E. Coyote never understood.  Count the
wins and losses of each with respect to who
got the carrot and who got the face full of
desert dust.

len the Sheepdog

From: Thomas B. Passin [mailto:tpassin@comcast.net]

Gorman strongly supports the datacentric approach.  I imagine that Len will
have something to say here...