   Re: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

At 02:16 PM 7/8/2002 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>>I don't think that a query processor is as simple to write as an XML
>>>parser. That doesn't mean that queries are bad.
>>
>>You seem utterly unwilling to acknowledge that the style of processing
>>you're pushing with XQuery is very very different from the style of
>>processing that takes place in parsing XML documents.
>
>Huh?

XML 1.0 reports structured labelled content.  There's no notion of type
beyond the structures and labels provided.  You're pushing a notion of type
that in my mind has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with XML and would
be better considered as a completely separate technology.  That's what I
meant by "style of processing".

>Regardless, the best way to get a feel for what makes XQuery useful and
>attractive may be to download one of the more complete implementations and
>play with it. It takes time to grasp a new technology. And then perhaps
>the next time around we can discuss XQuery in terms of the language
>itself, with sample queries and concrete scenarios.

Sorry Jonathan, but at this point I'm not in the mood to play with 700-page
specifications that do both more and less than I need.  (Yes, I'd like
update too.)  I'll take another look at XQuery when it clearly presents a
subset for work with well-formed XML only, without inflicting typed
expectations on that understanding.  I'm not willing to waste my time
playing in toxic turf controlled by an organization in which I have little
faith.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue