   RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

At 04:07 PM 7/8/2002 -0400, Mike Champion wrote:
>7/8/2002 2:47:59 PM, Jonathan Robie
><jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com> wrote:
>
> >OK, but in that case, please don't waste too much of our time with expert
> >opinions on a technology you haven't taken the time to learn.
>
>Part of the justification for W3C specs being written in a dense language
>is that
>they are intended for implementers, not end users.  End users will presumably
>need books such as "The XQuery Primer", "XQuery Elements of Style", "Building
>XQuery Applications", etc.   [hint: s/XQuery/XML/ and you have the titles
>of several books
>by Simon St. Laurent]

This is very much true. The earlier drafts of XQuery were a lot easier to
read, before we started adding all this information that implementors need.

>Dismissing Simon's concerns is like a coal miner saying "That canary
>was sick anyway, pay no attention to the fact that it just dropped dead. Keep
>digging! :~)

But this canary doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere near the mine. Perhaps
if he actually started using XQuery he would be able to give us some useful
feedback.

Jonathan