   Re: [xml-dev] question: can anyone give me a reason why OWL shouldhave d

[bryan]

> So I was looking over Owl
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-webont-req-20020708/
>
> When I found yet another case of interlock with WXSDL(under
> section-use-cases; R15. Complex data types). The motivations given were
> compatibility with other standards, and ease of use.
>
> Anyone excited about this and think it's a good idea?
> Anyone over-excited by this and think it's the worst idea since
> one-dimensional bread?
> I got a gut reaction that immediately spun me into the second camp, am
> looking to climb out and learn to smile, smile again.

I got an immediate reation or two myself.  First of all, I can see that
providing for structured values (as the object of statements) might be quite
useful.  On the other hand, this is probably equivalent to tuples of higher
arity than RDF uses.  So how would it be compatoble iwth RDF?

Second, even granted the above, XML Schema was not designed for knowledge
representation.  So how can you expect its structures to be good for that
purpose?  And if they are not, why require compatibility?

So it may be OK, but I'm skeptical.

Cheers,

Tom P