   Re: [xml-dev] Declaring the XML namespace

In article <000701c228c6$b7696ad0$6401a8c0@pcukmka> you write:

><doc xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"/>

The legality of this was recently confirmed in an erratum to the
Namespaces spec, which also resolves some other doubtful questions
about reserved prefixes and namespaces.  See:

  http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-names-19990114-errata#NE05

>AElfred accepts it, and doesn't notify the namespace to the SAX2
>ContentHandler.
>Piccolo accepts it, and does notify the namespace to the SAX2
>ContentHandler.

According to http://www.saxproject.org/apidoc/index.html,

  There should never be start/endPrefixMapping events for the "xml"
  prefix, since it is predeclared and immutable.

I notice that it doesn't say there whether redundant prefix bindings in
general are reported, eg in

  <a:foo xmlns:a="example.org">
    <a:bar xmlns:a="example.org">

-- Richard