   Re: [xml-dev] The general XML processing problem

Leigh Dodds wrote:

> [John Cowan]
> > 3) It's really a special case of the general XML processing problem,
> > which should be solved with a general solution.
>
> Is anyone (other than me, perhaps [1]) holding out hopes that there
> will ever be a general solution to the processing model problem?
>
> Or is it just going to remain a black hole?

There already are some solutions to this problem;
Cocoon and XPipe come to mind.  I think a single,
standardized mechanism for specifying processing
would be just as useless (and just as harmful) as
having a single, standardized schema language.

The best answer to the question "How does an XML
document indicate how it should be processed?"
is "It doesn't."

"How does an XML document indicate how it should
be processed *in system XYZ*?"  can be answered by
system XYZ.

(XML 1.0 even defines a handy place to put such
instructions -- in an <?XYZ ...?> PI -- but for
some reason that's considered heretical.)

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com