   JDOM vs. JAXP/Xerces for XML document creation

Question:  Very common scenario, I would like to
create a (fairly simple and repetitive) XML document
using information from a relational database.  In the
past, I created the document manually in Java:  text
elements and attributes, beginning and ending tags,
etc., all explicitly printed out to a file.

I'd like a more professional/maintainable way of doing
this:  I can learn the DOM API functions within
JAXP--but an article I just read appears to recommend
JDOM:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jdom/?open&l=136,t=grx,p=jdom

Question: I haven't used JAXP before--is it
cumbersome to the degree that I should be using a
wrapper like JDOM instead, or is the latter mostly a
"crutch" I should avoid while concentrating on
learning JAXP instead?  What are most using today?

Thanks,
Glen