   Re: [xml-dev] JDOM vs. JAXP/Xerces for XML document creation

7/15/2002 11:37:20 AM, Glen Mazza <glenmazza@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Question: I haven't used JAXP before--is it
>cumbersome to the degree that I should be using a
>wrapper like JDOM instead, or is the latter mostly a
>"crutch" I should avoid while concentrating on
>learning JAXP instead?  What are most using today?

I'd suggest worrying more about what YOU need that what
most people are doing :~)

JDOM is a handy "crutch" for getting a DOM-like application
going quickly, especially for experienced/committed Java
developers who like the Java idioms and see no reason to
hassle with others.  There are a few limitations that
may or may not apply to you ...

- There is one and only one JDOM. If you commit to it,
you have the source code and and open process to work with,
but no alternatives to easily switch to.

- JDOM's architecture expolits the fact that there it doesn't
have to worry about multiple implementations. This is a strength if
you like to use classes and constructors rather than
interfaces and factories, but some prefer the design patterns
that these facilitate.

- JDOM is easier than DOM for simple things, but even its
advocates (see below) acknowledge that hard things can be
VERY hard.

I'd strongly suggest reading Elliotte Rusty Harold's online
chapters on DOM and JDOM to see which meets your needs best.
http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/xmljava/