   RE: [xml-dev] RE: linking and DOM

7/16/2002 4:58:25 PM, "Yallala, Bhaskar" <B_Yallala@DirectAdvice.com> wrote:

>Thanks
>But if I have another file c.xml which has the same Date element ID as in B,
>I would be confused which one to read?
>How can I make sure I want only b.xml not c.xml?
>Is xpointer useful?. I have no idea on this!

XPointer isn't a final Recommendation, and is still in flux, and there's
no *standard* DOM API to work with it.  If you are working with a single
implementation (MSXML, Xerces, whatever) you might check to see if they
have proprietary APIs to support some XPointer draft.  I have no idea ...

Basically, the DOM gives you the getElementById() method, and your application
has to keep figure out how to extract the ID reference value from one
document and which document to load for a lookup.  If you have a whole
collection of documents and are trying to find the one that has
Date element with an ID attribute with the value "xyz", you'll
probably want to use an XML DBMS and do the query with XPath
rather than the DOM getElementById() method.