   RE: [xml-dev] Quick Xpath

> What I don't find obvious in the recs is why this "reverse
> order" property is lost when you assign the node set
> "preceding-sibling::*" to a variable, but all the XSLT
> processors seem to behave consistently in this respect.

Actually the "reverse order" property is lost as soon as you step
outside the step containing the reverse axis.

position() returns the position of the context node within some defined
sequence. The sequence depends on where the position() function is used:

* forwards-axis::x[position()=1]
    - position in document order
* reverse-axis::x[position()=1]
    - position in reverse document order
* (node-set)[position()=1]
    - position in document order
* <xsl:for-each><xsl:value-of select="position()">
    - position in document order
* <xsl:for-each><xsl:sort select="x"/><xsl:value-of select="position()">

    - position in sorted order

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com