   Re: [xml-dev] Schema Namespace name, schemaLocation, and Schema V ersi

Dare Obasanjo <kpako@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> http://my.domain.example.org/product/[year/month][/area]
> >

> > No! the (rather regretable) dated W3C namespace URI
> > are explictly _not_
> > for versioning, it's just that the W3C uses a dated
> > format for any URI
> > that they intend to be permanent.
> >
> > so for example
> > http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML
> > is the namespace for MathML 1, 1.01 and 2.0 (and
> > hopefully all future
> > versions of MathML)
> >
> > similarly
> > http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
> > is the namespace for XSLT 1 and for the XSLT 2
> > proposal.
>
> I hope this isn't official W3C policy because it is
> very poorly thought out.

I don't _think_ it's policy -- I believe backward incompatible changes
should involve a namespace change.

> We at Microsoft are already having problems with the fact that RECs
> like W3C XML Schema add backwards incompatible changes in errata
> does breaking our customer's previously working schemata when they
> get a patch or upgrade for no fault of their own or ours.

As far as the Schema WG is concerned, we've tried _very_ hard not to
do that, and your representatives on the WG have not identified any
cases of this happening as far as I know -- please let the WG know
ASAP which errata rendered previously valid schemas or instances
invalid!

ht