   Re: [xml-dev] Schema Namespace name, schemaLocation, and Schema V ersi

--- David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:

http://my.domain.example.org/product/[year/month][/area]

> No! the (rather regretable) dated W3C namespace URI
> are explictly _not_
> for versioning, it's just that the W3C uses a dated
> format for any URI
> that they intend to be permanent.
>
> so for example
> http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML
> is the namespace for MathML 1, 1.01 and 2.0 (and
> hopefully all future
> versions of MathML)
>
> similarly
> http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
> is the namespace for XSLT 1 and for the XSLT 2
> proposal.

I hope this isn't official W3C policy because it is
very poorly thought out. We at Microsoft are already
having problems with the fact that RECs like W3C XML
Schema add backwards incompatible changes in errata
does breaking our customer's previously working
schemata when they get a patch or upgrade for no fault
of their own or ours.

For the W3C to actually have a policy where versions
of their standards never change their namespace URI
would have many negative effects across the software
industry where XML is used. Either applications that
worked perfectly in the past would continually break
as changes to the RECs were made or the W3C would have
to ensure that every change they made was backwards
copmpatible which is an difficult burden and one it
has shown to be incapable of doing.

Thus I hope and pray this is your opinion and has no
bearing on any stated W3C policy on namespace URI for
versioning.

=====
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #79
If my doomsday device happens to come with a reverse switch, as soon as it has been employed it will be melted down and made into limited-edition commemorative coins.