   Re: [xml-dev] Schema Namespace name, schemaLocation, and Schema V ersi

"Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> writes:

> > As far as the Schema WG is concerned, we've tried _very_ hard
> > not to do that, and your representatives on the WG have not
> > identified any cases of this happening as far as I know --
> > please let the WG know ASAP which errata rendered previously
> > valid schemas or instances invalid!
>
> That's interesting given that I've mentioned on this very list about the

This is not the official official comments list -- I read it when I
can, but I don't always manage to read every post -- _please_ post
issues with the RECs or the errata to www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
as well as here.

> non-breaking change that was the gMonth errata[0] which invalidated
  xxx

> previously valid schemata like the one below
>
> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>
>
>  <xs:simpleType name="NotDecember">
>   <xs:restriction base="xs:gMonth">
>    <xs:maxInclusive value="--11--" />
>   </xs:restriction>
>  </xs:simpleType>
>
> </xs:schema>
>
> I'd be very surprised if our standards reps have not brought this up
> with the W3C XML Schema working group since they are well aware of this
> issue.

This is a corner case, hard to be sure about -- the REC was actually
contradictory as it stood, with one clause specifying one form, and
another clause a conflicting form.  In that case, there are _no_
non-breaking fixes, at least in principle, and we went with what we
believed was the majority of existing usage in practice -- are you
aware of any _deployed_ schemas using the --MM-- form?

On balance I support the judgement call that this change should not
have resulted in a namespace change -- the REC was (by accident)
contradictory, we agreed what we meant, we've brought the REC into
line with that agreement.

ht