   Re: [xml-dev] What kind of trap is XPointer?

[Eric van der Vlist]

> I have been long to understand this, but the consequence of XPointer as
> currently stated is that to claim to support the text/xml media type any
> application MUST support W3C XML Schema.
>
> Or have I missed something?

I think you have, but I think that is because a few parts of the current
XPATH2.0 Data Model draft appear to contradict the following, which clearly
allows non-schema-supported documents to be processed by XPATH 2.0:

" 3.3 XML Schemas and the XML Information Set
The data model is defined in terms of the [XML Information Set] after XML
Schema validity assessment. XML Schema validity assessment is the process of
assessing an XML element information item with respect to an XML Schema and
augmenting it and some or all of its descendants with properties that
provide information about validity and type assignment. The result of schema
validity assessment is an augmented Infoset, known as the Post
Schema-Validation Infoset, or PSVI.

The data model supports the following classes of XML documents:

  a.. Schema-validated documents, i.e., those validated with respect to a
schema,

  b.. DTD-valid documents, i.e., those documents validated with respect to a
DTD, and

  c.. Well-formed documents with no corresponding DTD or schema."

This sound like a clone of the threads about XQuery a few weeks back, where
the there were complaints that an XML Schema was required.  I think it was
definitively shown that no such schema is required or XQuery.

Cheers,

Tom P