   Not the essense of XML

That Wadler/Simeon paper mentioned on XMLHACK today, titled
"The Essense of XML"[1] is a draft, so I would not criticize it,
but it is interesting that the title makes you think it is about XML,
the abstract speaks about it as a formalization of XML Schemas,
but the text makes it clear it is more about the XQuery type model.

Or, actually, a formalization of something that sits somewhere between
them (presumably offered to help think about the issues and tease out
ramifications and properties, no problems there.)

I wonder when we can expect some paper defining XML as a set
of functions (that can be performed on some abstract data model
that looks quite like the XQuery one which is similar to XML
Schemas' one which sits like a collossus astride the XML Infoset which
may have a serialization to some characters on a wire in some syntax
we won't have a name for anymore)    :-)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

[1] http://www.research.avayalabs.com/user/wadler/papers/xml-essence/xml-essence-flops.pdf