   Re: [xml-dev] Question for the XPath and DOM folks

[Dare Obasanjo]

> Given the following XML in a DOM document
>
> <foo>
> bar
> <![CDATA[
> baz
> ]]>
> quux
> </foo>
>
> and the following XPath
>
> //text()
>
> what should be the resulting DOM nodes and why? I can think of two answers
but they both have problems.

I tried this out using the Big Three xslt processors, and depending on the
stylesheet, I got a big difference for msxml3 vs. (Saxon and Xalan).  Hard
to believe at this late date.  Here is the stylesheet that gives
differences:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
 <xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:value-of select='//text()'/>
 </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Results:

===> msxml3:

bar

===> Saxon and Xalan (and Sablotron and XT):

bar

baz

quux

Putting the "//text()" up in the select attribute of the template works the
same in all three (it returns all three strings).

This is a bit unnerving - what else does msxml3 disagree with the others on
that could lead to a really big difference?

Cheers,

Tom P