   RE: [xml-dev] Question for the XPath and DOM folks

  • To: "Garland foster" <garland_foster@salutia.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Question for the XPath and DOM folks
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:53:02 -0700
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

If it returns a nodeset containing one text node should be returned then where does it come from and what is the node's parent? In the DOM the <foo> element has 3 children; 2 text nodes and 1 CDATA node. Your suggestion implies that the XPath query creates a new DOM node.

Suppose we do create the new node. What happen when we query its parent? If the parent is <foo>, what happens when we ask it for its children do we get our original 3 or the newly created text node?

I wonder what Jeni's right answer will be...