   RE: [xml-dev] URIs harmful (was RE: [xml-dev] Article: Keeping pace wit

> A URzed is always dereferenceable.

Did you mean URI, URN or URL?

If you meant anything other than URL, then I disagree with you.  Per the
TLA, an instance of an URI represents the Identity of a Resource.  This
seems like a fancy phrase for "a reference to something" or "a symbol for
something" in my view.  Thus I place URIs in the same class as addresses,
bibliographic references, and person names.

It is not always dereferenceable, however.  How would you dereference a URI
identifying itself [1]?  Further, the "something" may be an abstract concept
like a point in time: for instance you can't dereference a date that has
already occurred, but you can reference it.

--
Jimmy Cerra
jfcst24@stargate.pitt.edu

[1] Here's an interesting aside:

Let's say be have a namespace declared in an xml document called A.  That
namespace (A) coorosponds to the URL of the document, appended with an
xPointer to A's declaration.  In this case, the xPointer points to itself.
How can this URI be dereferenced?

How do you resolve the namespace for the XML Schema Language in the document
defining definition of the language?  The resource (in the URI) of the
namespace references itself as a resource.  Isn't this an "infinite loop" of
dereferencing?

"my mind is slipping away...
                   ...day by glorious day"
Robin Gorkin