-----Original Message-----
From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]

However, if it is at least reasonable to look at URLs as identifiers, then I
think that all the problems you, Len and Simon state are unfortunate, but
merely the symptoms of the choices of one arbiter of URI usage (the W3C), and
not a symptom of fundamental uselessness of URIs themselves.  If we'd gone
with FPIs instead, we'd have the same problems in variant forms.