   Re: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

Joshua Allen wrote:

>Of course.  The web never insisted that hyperlinks be dereferencable at
>all times.
>
>On the other hand, it is exceedingly poor form to use identifiers from
>the HTTP scheme for things which you don't intend to be dereferenced
>(via HTTP synchronous GET, no less).

I'm still trying to figure out /why/ you would even want to (use the
HTTP scheme for things which you don't intend to be dereferenced).
Whether it's harmful or not - has anyone actually given a reason for
wanting to do this?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question - I haven't read every single
post in this (very long) thread and maybe this has already been
explained somewhere.

When I first started playing with rdf I used to use the http scheme to
identify _all_ resources - all I can say is that this added much
confusion  - especially whenever I wanted to discuss my work with
colleagues. Now I only identify resources that are actually http
dereferencable with the http scheme  - and I can't say as I've lost
anything (except some confusion of course).

--
Murray Spork
Centre for Information Technology Innovation (CITI)