   stupid URI tricks was: Re: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

Tim Braywrote:

> Joshua Allen wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, it is exceedingly poor form to use identifiers from
> > the HTTP scheme for things which you don't intend to be dereferenced
> > (via HTTP synchronous GET, no less).

I strongly agree to the (abrupt) extent that "dereferencing" a thing is in
no way the same as transporting _that thing_ across the network. HTTP should
be used for things for which there is an intention that a representation be
made available over the network.

> You might be on to something here.
>
> How about for things that you don't have any representations for right
> now but plan to in the near future?  How about things that you don't
> have any way of representing right now, but you might someday?  What are
> some things that fall into the category "which you don't intend to be
> dereferenced"?  -Tim

Everything and anything which might be identified by a URI, has a
representation. Perhaps not a good representation but nonetheless a
representation.

Consider:

text/plain; the thing identified by http://example.org/aURI.

or even

Now consider something _without_ a representation:

text/plain; a thing without a representation

:-)

Jonathan