   Re: [xml-dev] DNS based URIs that don't imply access method

Clark C. Evans scripsit:

> So.  I'm now asking if we should create a URI scheme with these
> properties.  Let's call it "pkg" for now, but any sufficiently
> generic name should work.   Here is the proposal:
>
>   - the scheme starts with "pkg://"
>   - next is a domain name in *small caps*
>   - optionally followed by:
>     - a slash '/'
>     - a standard httpish path per URI specification.
>   - no relative forms
>   - no fragments

This can be done today with "urn:publicid:IDN+domain.name:this:that:tother.
The only difference from what you specify is the : instead of /.  Relative
forms are not defined for URNs.

As for fragments, they are out of scope (not being part of the URI as such),
but you could certainly stipulate that they should not be used.

> Examples:
>
>    pkg://clarkevans.com
>    pkg://clarkevans.com/data-type
>    pkg://clarkevans.com/2002/my-data

	urn:publicid:IDN+clarkevans.com
	urn:publicid:IDN+clarkevans.com:data-type
	urn:publicid:IDN+clarkevans.com:2002:my-data

One problem with this is that you might lose control of the clarkevans.com
domain, and the new owner might repudiate or redefine your URNs.
The newsml URN scheme, though not prescribing a hierarchy, avoids this problem:

	urn:newsml:clarkevans.com:20020725:root:1
	urn:newsml:clarkevans.com:20020725:data-type:1
	urn:newsml:clarkevans.com:20020725:2002;my-data:1

Here the 1 is a version number you can increment if the thing referred
to by the URN (if there is one) changes, and the 20020725 means that
on that date you were in control of the clarkevans.com domain -- you do
not have to update this with every day that passes; indeed, you can pick
one such day as a fixed value.

--
There is / One art                      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
No more / No less                       http://www.reutershealth.com