   Re: [xml-dev] URI indigestion

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" scripsit:

> So if the Public ID is used
> in RDF for the Semantic Web, where does uniqueness
> get conferred?

Public IDs that begin "IDN domain-name//" are as unique
as domains (which is to say, only during a given period of
time).  This is part of ISO 9070 on Formal Public Identifiers.

> Further, there is the issue that URIs designate
> representations of resources and that these can
> vary over time/space/authorial_intent, etc,. and
> that this conflicts with the RDF requirement for
> insisting that the URI uniquely identifies one
> thing.

I hold that URIs designate resources.  The GET method
returns some representation of the resource, if one is
available. This is equally true of an URN  as of an URL.

> 1.  What is the one thing that it identifies
>     for URIs?

Some resources don't have representations, the "thing
without a rep" trick notwithstanding.

> 2.  Are these resources (can only be one) or
>     representations (can vary)?

Resources.

--
John Cowan   jcowan@reutershealth.com   http://www.reutershealth.com
    "Mr. Lane, if you ever wish anything that I can do all you will have to do