   RE: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

>Well, I grant that the W3C (or anybody else) could publish a URI that meant
>"the W3C".  However, no one has done so AFAIK.  Mere mortals who wish to
>refer to the W3C, therefore, can either publish such a URI themselves,
>or bootstrap from some existing URI associated with the W3C.  Topic Maps
>make it possible (not necessary) to do the latter.

Just for the record: though the main diet of RDF is URIs, things which
haven't got them can still be talked about (using blank nodes), so it's
possible to say things like 'the resource with the web site
http://www.w3.org has a director called Tim'. Anchors in the form of URIs
are needed somewhere though...