   Re: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

Joshua Allen wrote:

[[
> There is no way in the existing architecture of the Web to find out
what
> the resource *is*.  There is no way to tell whether you're talking
about
> a time-varying bag of HTML bits, or the organization that xml-dev
exists

Wrong.  The web architecture has a thing called URIs, which are intended
to unambiguously identify things.  Axioms 1 and 2a of web architecture.
]]

You are quoting Tim out of context. I think he means the Web architecture
sans RDF. That is to say, RDF allows one to say what a resource _is_ e.g.

http://example.org/my/Car rdf:type my:Car .
http://example.org/my/Car car:Brand car:Corvette .

[[
> Thus, claiming that your first assertion above is talking about the
web
> page is simply without basis in the Web architecture.  The assertion
is

It identifies *something*.  There is nothing is web architecture which
says that it *can't* identify a web page.  I was simply pointing out
that *if* I decide to make it identify the web page, I avoid some
serious problems.
]]

What serious problems do you avoid? Sure a Web page can be a resource just
as a Car can be a resource, but both might have representations that the Web
(if you mean the traditional HTTP protocol) is equally facile with. RDF
could care less, what the rdf:type of the resource is. Since HTTP doesn't
care and RDF doesn't care, what is the problem?

Jonathan