   RE: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

If I want a representation of a beach, please send
the photos with the girls, not RDF or text prose.

The problem is this:  for too many people for
too long, http://whatever means "address of something I can get"
and not "name which has the meaning I want to give it".

http means "dereference" first, not secondarily.  It has
a "preferred reading" and what is being added by claiming
it for "names as preferred" flies in the face of common
usage.  It is always dereferenceable first, and then
it is a name.  You are stuck with that fact.  By design.

Spilt milk.   People who want to use things which are
clearly just names should be using urn:whatever.  The
battle to make http prefaced strings mean whatever one
wants them to mean was lost a long time ago.  I am
well familiar with the "names don't have meaning,
only people do" approach to semiotics and linguistics.

sign -> signifier, signifieds, referents

Stand up in a crowded room and yell "FIRE!" then
when you have made bail, we can all meet at the
local pub and you can tell us what you really meant.
But it has to be local since you will be under
restraints of a judge and a bail bondsman.

Fielding is right that it has become like a word,
and now, it has a preferred reading: GET.  So
given namespaces, it will be a good idea to
put something at the end of the URL being used
to uniqueify the QName.  Or simply, polite.

len