   Re: [xml-dev] URIs and Names on the Web

apologies to Joshua Allen / Jonathan Borden for my late nite posting/rant,

since I criticized ( waited a few cycles as pointed out by Simon St.
Laurent ), I should also comment ( putting on flame retardent flight
suit... ), but I can't help feeling that this is how other victims were
trapped....... I did indeed go through the vast number of emails when trying
to assimilate this topic, so I am certain I have missed main tenets of the
arguement, here is a gelogical analogy as inspired by Didier Martin's
aliens.

a new rock speciman, found in the field, could possibly be named;

- using a latin name

- using the name of the person who found it

- using the name of the place where it was found

- using the name reflecting characteristics of crystalline habit, chemical
compisition, hardness test, color etc...

- a mixture of the above

To be sure, different geologists from different parts of the world will have
different names, possibly reflecting their own, possibly simultaneous,
discovery of the rock or perhaps they will simply have a different name due
to their language. Presumably their could also be a different naming schema
because this new rock 'fits in' with some previous findings or ontological
framework. Not to mention that there will be groups of geologists
considering one name more 'truer' then another. Names also can change
through time....language mutation, context, etc....

To make things even more difficult, here are some other 'real life' naming
and classification scenarios;

- 2 rocks of exactly the same composition may be named because of the
process that created them were different ( metamorphic .... )

- an artificialy created stone may be given a different name, even though it
matches the exact chemical composition of another rock, there is also a
'brand name' of certain rocks.

- I have even heard of a rock that was named after the nearest 'sound' where
it was first found; which was that of a waterfall, so it was simply named
'waterfall' though this was in the local tribal dialect ( which was spoken
by less then a few thousand people ! )

so we could state that;

- a name does not automatically imply 'meaning' about itself, but it might
( e.g. someone named John Carpenter, may have had a carpenter as an
ancestor )

- a name is not automatically an address or locator, or a universal token of
identity, but it could be, especially as defined in the terms of scope and