   Re: [xml-dev] Quick Xpath

> * Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> >But a question remains.  Are sequences part of the problem you see in XPath
> >2.0?  Or are the complicating details all the *ahem* other ahem stuff that has
> >been discussed and deplored ad nauseam in this forum?
> >
> >This is important because if, like me, you see a handful of really useful
> >things in XPath 2.0 buried in mounds of waste, then you should be sure to tell
> >the group precisely what you find useful.  This will allow/encourage them to
> >establish a conformance level of XPath 2.0 with which implementors such as you
> >and me can content ourselves.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2002/02/mid/1021601879.2292.105.camel@dirk

Thanks for the pointer, Bjoern.

I's rather stay away from Connolly's explicitly stated point, although I'll
say:

I think he's being quite undiscriminating.   A minimum of optional features
might have worked as a design dgoal of XML, but it would not have worked as a
design goal for DOM.  The obvious reason is that these two specs are very
different beasts.  For some beasts conformance levels are a net gain.  For
some, they're a net loss.  Should anyone even have to state such an obvious
matter?  And let's not forget that in spite of its design goal, XML has at
least one major conformance level.  Hasn't killed XML yet.

But migrating to what Connolly said to its possible relevance to the XPath 2.0
problem.  Dan is heavily invested in the W3C, so I'll just put it this way: if
XPath comes out with the sort of complex PSVI support that it currently
sports, without these being profiled into some conformance level, XPath 2.0
will be a failure, and the W3C will have wasted huge amounts of resources
having developed it.

This is the simple fact.  Never mind the theoretic evil of conformance levels.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC