   Re: [xml-dev] On Schemas, Namespaces and Syntax vs. Semantics (longbut w

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> A recent discussion on XML-DEV[0] highlighted the fact that there is some disagreement amongst practitioners of XML as to whether XML schemas and XML namespaces are meant as a means of expressing syntax or both syntax and semantics which is excarberated by the fact that the W3C recommendations describing both of the aforementioned technologies do not offer any guidance.

Good heavens, is someone arguing that markup or meta-markup have
semantics?  Seems to me that semantics lives in the human mind and
executable computer programs; one of the virtues of descriptive markup a
la XML is that you get to choose what semantics you want to apply. -Tim