   (newbie) Formatting DOM-generated XML docs

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: (newbie) Formatting DOM-generated XML docs
  • From: Glen Mazza <glenmazza@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 22:17:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

I'm just learning DOM/Java programming and created a
sample XML document for a one-book library:

...create a document...

Element root = doc.createElement("LIBRARY");
doc.appendChild(root);
root.setAttribute("location", "Arlington");
Element newElement = doc.createElement("BOOK");
Text abc = doc.createTextNode("XML For Beginners.");
newElement.appendChild(abc);
root.appendChild(newElement);

...serialize the document...

The resulting XML file looked like this, with the XML
info all on one line:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<LIBRARY location="Arlington"><BOOK>XML For
Beginners.</BOOK></LIBRARY>

I would like it to be in more human-readable format,
however, such as this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<LIBRARY location="Arlington">
     <BOOK>XML For Beginners.</BOOK>
</LIBRARY>

Would I have to manually code the whitespace, tabbing,
etc., or are their tools within JAXP that will format
XML documents like this for me?

Thanks,
Glen