   Re: [xml-dev] (newbie) Formatting DOM-generated XML docs

[Glen Mazza]

> ...serialize the document...
>
> The resulting XML file looked like this, with the XML
> info all on one line:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <LIBRARY location="Arlington"><BOOK>XML For
> Beginners.</BOOK></LIBRARY>
>
> I would like it to be in more human-readable format,
> however, such as this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <LIBRARY location="Arlington">
>      <BOOK>XML For Beginners.</BOOK>
> </LIBRARY>
>
> Would I have to manually code the whitespace, tabbing,
> etc., or are their tools within JAXP that will format
> XML documents like this for me?

 You can look for a serializer that will do it, or you can just run the
output through Tidy - there is a java version at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtidy

You can also try running an identity xslt tranformation, using

<xsl:output indent='yes'/>

in the stylesheet to get some pretty-printing, but the results may or may
not be close to what you would like, depending on the processor.