   RE: [xml-dev] URIs and Names on the Web

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan said:
... in the meantime someone else, had published an HTTP URI and
_their_ description has become the definative description of this new
rock

Didier replies:
And the rocks has a different name each time it is moved to a new HTTP
server.

Note: This unless we use a kind of HTTP server redirecting the
transaction to the new location and thus providing location
independence. But the main problem with URL is precisely this: location
independence. Since, I lived in several countries and moved quite often
in my life, it would imply that:
a) to know my name you would have to call a name service in order to get
my location dependent name
b) know my place and therefore know my name.
c) I may have more than one name if I live in several places.

Bottom line: a good naming schema provides location independence. A name
should as much as possible be an invariant. Applying the theory of
relativity to naming object is simply not practical :-)