   Re: [xml-dev] Editing XML in web browser using XSL and DHTML

[Šoltís Ján]

I like the way XML Spy alows editing XML in document view.

Many end users don't want to know XML structure, they just want to enter
some information, they need absolutely easy-to-use editor, that alows anyone
to modify XML document in simple way, without knowing anything about XML or
even internal structure of particular XML.

The idea to transform XML into DHTML, then edit it in browser with a litle
help of JavaScript and then save back to XML is very nice.

Is there some less expensive editor, that allows this? I think this could be
quite easily done with IBM Sash or MS HTA. Anyone tried? (I made simple
DHTML application that works pretty well with data oriented XML, but it's
still very simple)

[Tom P]

Well, __someone__ or __something__ has to know something about xml and the
xml structure.  Not a browser-based approach, but look at the XMLMind
editor.  That shows an XML file as nested blocks of text that are easy to
edit.  If you can create a DTD and a css stylesheet for the file, it will
use the css to create a very nice, wysiwyg-like display, which can make it
even easier to edit.

http://www.xmlmind.com/

XML SPY also has an ability to create a wysiwyg-like editing environment,
although it goes not (as best I know) use a standard styling language to do
so.