   RE: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question (was Re: [xml-dev] URIs and Names on t

Hi Mark,

Mark said:
Ok, here's a test.  I'm going to write down two URIs.  One is an "URL",
using the commonly understood definition, and the other is not.  Which
is which?

aaaa://www.markbaker.ca/foo
bbbb:markbaker:foo

I'll save a round trip, and reveal that the latter is the URL, and the
former is not an URL.  Even though the former looks more like an URL,
its resolution mechanism does not include DNS.  It is in fact resolved
by looking up an IP/port in a registry that I maintain, and charge a
fee to create names within.

The latter is the URL, because I've defined that its resolution
mechanism use DNS, after "www." is prepended, and ".ca" is appended to
the authority part.

Didier replies:
The internal logic of your argument is irreproachable. Its only that
using the word "locator" to designate a name leads to some confusion. It
would be better to call that with a different name but surely not a
locator which means a location not a name. You know, I do not call my
bike a car even if I commute with it :-) Anyway, I know you understand
what I mean and you know the difference between a location an a name.
Its only that our community tend to call apples, oranges and think that
by saying that the sky is green everybody will believe it :-)

Cheers
Didier PH Martin