   RE: [xml-dev] Partitioning?

Hi Steven,

Steven said:
and some foobar.xsl stylesheet stored on the server, the following
sitemap fragment will do what you want IMO:

       <map:match pattern="**.xml">
         <map:generate src="{1}.xml"/>
         <map:select type="browser">
           <map:when test="ie6">
             <map:serialize type="xml"/>
           </map:when>
           <map:otherwise>
             <map:transform src="foobar.xsl"/>
             <map:serialize type="html"/>
           </map:otherwise>
         </map:select>
       </map:match>
       <map:match pattern="**.xsl">
         <map:read mime-type="text/xsl" src="{1}.xsl"/>
       </map:match>

Didier replies:
If I understand well the above scrip, if the browser is EI6 then the XML
document is sent as is. However, the problem is still there. I need to
get the inclusion of the style sheet PI at the very last moment since I
not want to include a precise stylesheet but to let the system include
the proper style sheet PI based on the calling user agent. Maybe I
didn't understood the script but Cocoon is still not doing partitioning,
at least in its current state. Will it support it in a future version?
Do you know if there is some work toward that goal?

Steven said:
You are saying retrieving (static) XML docs across the network is faster

than fetching them from local disk? I don't get that one. If you
consider actual XML server offerings being unsophisticated, I doubt it
whether you have Cocoon a real close look - a lot of people are argueing

it is too complex for mundane beings ;-)

Didier replies:
Why would I say such a stupid thing Steven, my brain is not paralyzed
with some mental illness or physical degradation :-) I just say that if
you can install a transformation engine as a reverse proxy or as a
proxy, then you simply have to add it on the front of your actual HTTP
servers without modifications (with the exception of the DNS entry). The
transformation server could even be a public service branching to your
server. It could allow small content provider not able to install
something like cocoon to be able to publish XML content and still enjoy
the benefits of content adaptation to particular devices. Having a real
partitioning of the pipeline processes is the next step in the evolution
of servers.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin