   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

[[
The namespaces specification made a simple but horrid
mistake in failing to recognize the close relationship
between an attribute and its containing element.  That
there is a difference between:

<x:foo x:bar="bogus"/>

and:

<x:foo bar="bogus"/>

seems like yet another consequence of a disastrous
specification.  ... It's time to start fixing stuff
instead of just letting bad decisions perpetuate
themselves.  In practice, I really doubt that this will
break ANY applications.
]]

It has been generally acknowledged that you are correct
in that there _ought not_ be such a distinction but the
problem is that changing the specification at this stage
of the game, actually would break any number of real
world programs e.g.

<xsl:template match="x:foo[@x:bar]"> ...

now perhaps such XSLT could be recognized and auto-
xformed into:

<xsl:template match="x:foo[@bar]"> ...

but I'm sure that I've written something like the above
any number of times.

Jonathan