   Re: [xml-dev] Data mining the semantic web? (was RE: [xml-dev] Semantic

Mike Champion wrote:

> I'm not clear on what the role of RDF, ontologies, etc. would be
> in a Google-like semantic web, however.  It would only deal with
> these relationships and inferences *statistically* whereas
> as I understand it RDF/OWL/etc. attempt to deal with them *logically*.

Actually, it is the intersection of statistical and logical techniques on
the semantic web that are most interesting to me. Consider healthcare and
biomedical research, we have lots of use of statistics, as well as
sophisticated ontologies such as SNOMED.

> Or to put it another way, in this view is the semantic web an
> ontology and trust building exercise, or a data mining exercise?

If you think of the Web as an amorphous distributed database, it will be
shared ontologies that will best give it the structure that will allow
meaningful datamining -- databases generally require schemas to do anything
useful. Similarly statistics are best applied to (distinguish) classes of
things.

Jonathan