   RE: [xml-dev] Data mining the semantic web? (was RE: [xml-dev] Semantic

>Or to put it another way, in this view is the semantic web an
>ontology and trust building exercise, or a data mining exercise?

I was just thinking and unaccustomed as I am to this experience I
thought I'd share(I will also attempt to share with more clarity than is
my wont); we know that google determines result-position by linkage(with
certain types of linkers being given preference - bloggers for example)
and that they also attempt to weed-out people attempting to influence
the results by various unfair or data-skewing methods.
Basically it seems to me that way Google has approached the web is as a
giant problem in Bayesian Analysis, and that this method has been
relatively successful(at least more successful than other methods have
been).

Data mining is one area that derives great benefits from Bayesian
methods, so I would suppose that the Semantic Web from the Google
perspective should be a data mining exercise.

Given this, What do people think might be some other inferential
models(opposed to or complementing the 'importance by linking model')
that could be used to gauge a page's importance against any particular
query.

(Was the above reasonable?)