   Client-side sorting without Microsoft extensions?

Does anyone know a cross-browser solution for XSLT access to the DOM to sort
XML data in-place that works for *both* Netscape 6+ and IE 5.5+?

In other words, my stylesheet renders XML in tabular form (as HTML) and I'm
using Microsoft-specific XML DOM and XSLT features to enable client-side
sorting of data merely by clicking on the column heading, based on a
technique illustrated in an XML-J article [1]. The core of the
Microsoft-specific code follows:

    oldXMLDOM = document.all.participantsXML.XMLDocument;  // data
    oldXSLDOM = document.all.tableXSL.XMLDocument;   // stylesheet
    newHTML = oldXMLDOM.transformNode(oldXSLDOM);
    document.all.tableBody.innerHTML = newHTML;
   XSLIsland = document.all.tableXSL.XMLDocument;
   var objSelect =
     XSLIsland.selectSingleNode("//xsl:sort/@select");

Thanks in advance.

[1] XML Journal, Volume 3, Issue 5; http://www.sys-con.com/xml/

- Ken Sall                            ken@sall.net or kensall@comcast.net
- XML Consultant/Author
- http://kensall.com or http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kensall/
- XML Family of Specifications: A Practical Guide (just published)
- http://WDVL.Internet.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/XMLFamily/