   Re: [xml-dev] XLink and XForms

  • To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XLink and XForms
  • From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@yahoo.de>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:42:58 +0200
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

Jeni Tennison wrote:
[rearranged]
 > But in some situations, I imagine that adding IDs to every element in
 > the instance data is impossible. ...
 > ... Also, of course, you can't attach IDs to attributes;
 > perhaps you had some formulaic way of naming them in mind?
No I didn't. I probably have to retract this part of my
statement.

Nevertheless...

 > However, I was under the impression that XForms would be processed by
 > dedicated processors, probably built into browsers.
That's quite right. However, until browsers with a reasonable
XForms support dominate, XSL transformation to HTML forms + a
bunch of clever JavaScript will certainly be part of many projects.
That's what I worry about.
Furthermore, I fear that it will give people the impression
that XPath is the way to go for references even for vocabularies
whose processing model hardly warrants a custom processor.

 > From what I can tell, it's perfectly possible for XForm authors to use
 > IDs to identify particular elements in the instance if they want to,
 > and then use the id() function to refer to them.
That's neat.

J.Pietschmann