   RE: [xml-dev] XLink and XForms

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeni Tennison [mailto:jeni@jenitennison.com]
Sent: 31 August 2002 09:20
To: J.Pietschmann
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XLink and XForms

>But in some situations, I imagine that adding IDs to every element in
>the instance data is impossible. For example, if the instance data
>itself is extended due to repeated structures then those new elements
>would have to have their own identifiers, which won't be known at
>design time. Also, of course, you can't attach IDs to attributes;
>perhaps you had some formulaic way of naming them in mind? Or perhaps
>you were talking about IDs in a more generic way rather than
>specifically XML IDs?

>I feel like I must be missing something...

Thank you Jeni, that's just what I was wondering.

I am currently using an inhouse XML syntax for building forms that does make use IDs instead of XPath, and it has just this problem of not being able to point to dynamically generated repeating structures. The problem is simply resolved: you cannot generate new elements. The forms I am building are rather complex, running over many screens, and with enough repeated structures for me to get really fed up with having to give every one an ID.

I am sure there must be a clever way of using IDs to get round the problem, but wouldn't you just be giving an XPath like expression a name?

All the best

Mark