-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@prescod.net]
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 9:20 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

Let me try to summarize the problem with XML Schema inheritance this
way: The defining characteristic of subtyping in OO languages is that if the subtype is properly designed it *will not break code* written for the supertype, whether the supertype predicted your extensions or not.
This can be achieved with XML Schema inheritance only if the people writing code for the supertype practiced a high level of discipline. In other words, subtyping "just works" for clients in OO languages. It takes (IMO) unacceptable levels of discipline in XML Schema.