   RE: [xml-dev] Subtyping in XML

> > 1) Adding new value members to the value space of a type
> can't be any good
> > under any circumstances.  It's possible to think up some
> use for such a
> > feature, but it would no doubt be better implemented using
> one of the other
> > mechanisms.
>
> If you mean simple type == datatype, then not only is it bad,
> it's not
> possible using W3C XML Schema.  There is no derivation by extension
> from simple types.

I think that's the intent, anyway.  I may be misremembering, but I thought
there was a loophole or ambiguity in the spec that might allow one to add
new enumeration values through simple type restriction?  In any case it's
bad, bad,bad.

> Note here that W3C XML Schema extension is _always_ sequenced, in the
> sense that any member of a type defined by extension _must_ contain a
> member of the base type as a prefix.

What you're saying is that base members come before extended members? That's
fine, and it's not possible to extend (A, B, C[3]) with (A, B, C[3], C*) in
XML Schema, although it is possible to extend it to (A, B, C[3], D, C*).
It's that last case that I consider Not So Bad, but Paul seems to find
objectionable.

> This property does _not_ hold for substitution groups, where
> type-based patterns rather than element-based ones are the only safe
> way to go.

Not quite following you here, sorry.