   Re: [xml-dev] using schemaLocation to point multiple same namespace sche

Hi Emmanuil,

>>The Microsoft W3C XML Schema implementations pick the first schema they
>>see and associate that with the namespace then ignores the other
>>specified locations.
>
> The |xsi:schemaLocation also accepts pairs of URIs for authors that
> wish to provide references to Schema documents|. In each pair of
> URIs, the first is used as a namespace URI and the second as a
> location for the schema document. This is one of the three
> requierments at [1].
>
> The sister attribute, |xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation, accepts only
> one URI as a hint to where the schema document may be located.|
>
> So, this implementation is incorrect [2]?

I think that MSXML (and any other W3C XML Schema validator) is
perfectly within its rights to use the first schema that it finds for
a given namespace. The Schema Representation Constraint: Schema
Document Location Strategy says:

  Given a namespace name (or none) and (optionally) a URI reference
  from xsi:schemaLocation or xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation,
  schema-aware processors may implement any combination of the
  following strategies, in any order:

  1 Do nothing, for instance because a schema containing components
    for the given namespace name is already known to be available, or
    because it is known in advance that no efforts to locate schema
    documents will be successful (for example in embedded systems);

        http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-1-20010502/#schema-loc

This option implies that if you already have a schema for a given
namespace then there is no need to find another one.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison